CLE Paris is a meeting in Paris of lawyers, judges, law academics and law makers in the first week of every year.
It aims to consider searching questions, argument for change, best practice insights and cutting-edge trends, relating to the law as it is applied globally.
Our next conference is on 7 – 9 January 2020 at Le Meurice.
On behalf of CLE Paris, I am delighted to invite you to join us in Paris, France for our sixth CLE Paris Global Law Conference to be held from 7 to 9 January 2020. Paris, steeped in beauty, history and legal signiﬁcance, provides us with a truly unique atmosphere to learn, share knowledge, develop business relationships and make new friends.
Lawyers, judges and law educators are now working in a globally dynamic and technologically diverse framework. Courts, lawyers, and legal services are being pushed across borders. Civil law jurisdictions are blending with common law systems; laws and systems are converging. Traditional legal positions and views are changing. To this end, CLE Paris aims to consider searching questions, argument for change, best practice insights and cutting-edge trends, relating to the law as it is applied globally.
We are bringing together international leaders in their legal ﬁelds to speak with us in a format encouraging inspiration, stimulation, and conversation. The Paris venue puts the program in touch with one of the greatest historical civil law jurisdictions, and in a country that is determined to take a lead in emerging global and transnational trends.
We will also continue our privately organised, law inspired excursions and are repeating our very own “Law Professors’ Tour”.
I hope that you will accept this invitation and join us in Paris.
Prof. Jim Corkery
CLE Paris Co-Chairperson
Our 2020 event will be held at the Dorchester Collection’s Le Meurice, “Hotel of Kings”, in its Salon Pompadour, pictured above.
This magical ballroom has been classified as a place of cultural heritage. Musical instruments adorn the ceiling in honour of Marquise de Pompadour who was the patron of arts and music and the history of this room reflects the legacy of splendour and art at Le Meurice. This is where Picasso celebrated his wedding to the Russian ballet dancer, Olga Khokhlova.
Le Meurice Accommodation Special Package
Le Meurice is offering CLE Paris 2020 delegates a very the special rate of 390 Euro per night, for a superior room (duel occupancy) for the period Sunday 5 January 2020 to Saturday 11 January 2020. The usual rate is 1,200 Euro per night.
This special package is subject to availability. Stays extending beyond these dates at the special rate may also be possible. To arrange this accommodation, please email us at email@example.com.
Michelin Star Lunches
Join us in Salon Tuileries at Le Meurice where we will enjoy three-course lunches prepared under the supervision of the Le Meurice team of Michelin star chefs, Alain Ducasse and Jocelyn Herland.
Every year, CLE Paris arranges private visits for our delegates to places of legal significance. In 2020, delegates will have the choice of 2 of the following planned excursions (or 1 choice for One Day Delegates):
- French Parliament (Assemblée Nationale);
- Council of State (Counsel d’Etat);
- The old Sorbonne (established in the 13th century, it is one of the world’s oldest university sites); and
- Law Professors’ Tour” (a tour of the Pantheon, led by Dr Gerard Carney and Prof. Pascale Bloch, to hear the stories of the great French lawyers who have passed before us.)
We hope you will join us.
This following video is a presentation on the trial of the last Queen of France, Marie Antoinette, by Prof. Gerard Carney. It was presented in the same courtroom in which Marie Antoinette was tried, at the Palais de Justice. It was presented as part of the CLE Paris 2017 Global Law Conference on 5 January 2017.
Our 2020 program is still under development.
Confirmed speakers and topics include:
- Justice Stephen Gageler AC of the High Court of Australia – Collective decision-making in common law and civil law courts.
- Justice Martin Daubney AM of the Supreme Court of Queensland and President of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal – Judges in the Age of Disruption.
- Judge Iulia Motoc of the European Court of Human Rights – The Modern Justiciability of Human Rights.
- Dr Matt Collins QC President, Victorian Bar – Press freedom in the 21st century: the internet, jury trials and anti-terror laws.
- Pierre Baume Barrister, Victorian Bar – To die or not to die – I now choose to die!
- Hubert de Vauplane Partner, Kramer Levin, Paris – Bitcoin and Blockchain: What Lawyers Need to Know.
Presentations are given in English.
Expression of interest to speak: If you are a leader in your law field and interested in speaking at a future CLE Paris event, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full Delegate Registration (AUD $2,459.35 including Eventbrite fee):
- Full academic program;
- Excursions (to be confirmed);
- Excursion to the Pantheon (“Law Professors’ Tour”);
- Lunch at Le Meurice (3-course meal + wine) on 7 January 2020;
- Lunch at Le Meurice (3-course meal + wine) on 8 January 2020;
- Evening event on 7 January 2020;
- Evening event on 8 or 9 January 2019 (date to be confirmed);
- Coffee and tea breaks.
One Day Delegate Registration (AUD $1,743.95 including Eventbrite fee):
- Academic program on the selected day;
- Excursion on the selected day;
- Lunch at Le Meurice (3-course meal + wine) on the selected day;
- Evening event on the the selected day;
- Coffee and tea breaks.
Partner Registration – for partner/spouse of Delegate (AUD $1,284.05 including Eventbrite fee) :
- Includes all elements of Full Delegate Registration excluding academic program.
Partner One Day Registration – for partner/spouse of Delegate (AUD $926.35 including Eventbrite fee) :
- Includes all elements of One Day Delegate Registration excluding academic program.
Registrations for CLE Paris is now open and can be made securely through Eventbrite:
Registrations close on 10 November 2019 or when sold out. Limited places available.
If you wish to register over the phone, or for further information, please call Joe Kafrouni on + 61 400 422 222.
CLE Paris Steering Committee members:
- Professor Jim Corkery, Bond University;
- Emeritus Professor Pascal Bloch, The University Paris 13;
- Professor Gerard Carney, Curtin University;
- Melissa Kafrouni, Lawyer;
- Joe Kafrouni, Lawyer.
For any general information concerning the CLE Paris 2019 Legal Conference, please do not hesitate to contact:
P: + 61 400 422 222
or complete and submit the form below: