CLE Paris is pleased to publish the following material from our past events:
- Beatrice Castellane
Continental Civil Law v Common Law in International Contractual Disputes
CLE Paris Global Law Conference, Paris (January 2018).
We are grateful to all past speakers of CLE Paris, including:
- The Hon. Justice Peter Applegarth, Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland – “Hatred, Ridicule and Contempt: Compensating for Hurt Feelings in the Internet Age”.
- Associate Professor Ann Black, School of Law, University of Queensland – “Can I have a fatwa with that?”
- Pierre Baume, Barrister – “To die or not to die: is this the ‘right question’ or a ‘rights’ question?”
- The Hon. Ian Callinan AC QC, Queen’s Counsel and former Justice of the High Court of Australia – “Art as a Commodity”.
- The Hon. Justice Timothy Carmody, Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland – “Lessons from Japan – aspects of the Japanese legal system.”
- Professor Gerard Carney, Faculty of Law, Curtin University – “Statutory Interpretation – A Convergence of Common Law and Civil Law Approaches: the common mindset of a French, British, American or Australian lawyer”.
- John Connor, Lawyer, Baker & McKenzie – “The founding and progress of the world’s first global law firm: Baker & McKenzie”.
- Professor Jim Corkery, Faculty of Law, Bond University – “The case for a J.D. (Global) – an international baccalaureate in law” (2014) + “Corporate Social Responsibility: The Good Corporation” (2017).
- Benedict Coyne, Lawyer, Boe Williams Anderson – “International Business and Human Rights”.
- Zuong Dang, Lawyer, W3IP Law – “Fashion and the Creative Arts: fakes, forgeries and counterfeiting – protecting the world’s most counterfeited brands”.
- The Hon. Justice James Douglas, Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland – Judicial debate. Topic: “I’d rather be an accused in the French criminal justice system than the Australian” – in the negative.
- Andrew George, Partner, Doobue O’Brien George – “Robot Lawyers”.
- The Hon. Justice Robert Gotterson, Judge of the Supreme Court of Queensland and a Judge of Appeal – “The International Framework for Court Excellence – its origins, core values and implementation worldwide”.
- Dr Tina Hunter, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Law, The University of Queensland – “Lex Petrolea: The New Lex Mercatoria or Merely Petroleum Activities Across International Boundaries”.
- Dr Victoria Lambropoulos, Barrister and Senior Lecturer, School of Law, Deakin University – “The Hot Topics: A comparative review of the French and Australian Labour law systems and dismissal laws.”
- Bernard McCabe, Deputy President, Administrative Appeals Tribunal – “Efficiency, objectivity and the eye of the beholder in decision-making.”
- Graeme McFadyen, Chief Operating Officer, Shine Lawyers – “Cultural Impact on a Law Firm of a Stock Exchange Listing – an insider’s perspective”.
- Dr Dan Morgan, Barrister, Cedric Hampson Chambers – “Sharia Challenges to Anglo-Australian Succession Law”.
- Terri Motterhead, Founding Principal of Motterhead Consulting – “Global Legal Talent Management – fact, fiction or fantasy”.
- Professor Dan Svantesson, Faculty of Law, Bond University – “Internet and Privacy”.
- Andrew Willcocks, Lawyer, ICC – “The Common European Asylum System: are regional solutions viable?”
- Professor Antoin Bullier, Université Panthéon Sorbonne – “The Civil Code from Tronchet and Napoleon to the 21st century”.
- Dominique Attias, Vice President of the Paris Bar Council – officially opened CLE Paris 2017 – “Ethical standards for global lawyers”.
- Tristan Aureau, Member, Council of State (Conseil d’Etat) – “Whistle Blowing in French and European Law”.
- Denis Bensaude, Arbitrator, Paris Bar and New York Bar – “Location and Competition in International Commercial Arbitration”.
- Professor Pascale Bloch, Paris 13 University PRES Sorbonne Paris Cite – “Methods and Gaps in Harmonisation of Banking Law at the European and International Level”
- Alexandre Boiche, Lawyer, Alexandre Boiche Avocats – “Globalization of International Family Law”.
- Stéphane Brabant, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills – “Managing Risk & Crisis in Africa”.
- Frederic Calinaud, Lawyer, Calinaud Avocats – “Sources of French Employment Law: The Project of Reform of the French Labour Code”.
- Beatrice Castellane, Founder of Cabinet Castellane Avocats – “The Civil Code from Tronchet and Napoleon to the 21st century.”
- Philippe Coen, Attorney, Directeur Juridique – “Respect Zone v hate zones: How lawyers can help detoxing social networks.”
- Prof. Dominique Hiebel, Université Paris 13 Sorbonne Paris Cité – “The Civil Code from Tronchet and Napoleon to the 21st century.”
- Alya Ladjimi, Deputy Manager, ICC International Centre for ADR – “The ICC International Centre for ADR: Mediation, Expertise, Dispute Boards and DOCDEX Rules”.
- Rafaela Menezes de Magalhães, Deputy Counsel, ICC International Court of Arbitration – “Introduction to the ICC International Court of Arbitration, its Secretariat and the ICC Rules of Arbitration”.
- Alice Pezard, Lawyer and International Arbitrator – “Fashion and the Creative Arts: fakes, forgeries and counterfeiting – protecting the world’s most counterfeited brands.”
- Professor Jerome Porta, School of Law Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense – “The Hot Topics: A comparative review of the French and Australian Labour law systems and dismissal laws.”
- M. Charles Tellier, President of the District Court of Aurillac (Tribunal De Grande Instance d’Aurillac) – Judicial debate. Topic: “I’d rather be an accused in the French criminal justice system than the Australian” – in the positive.
- Professor Laurent Vidal, The University Paris I (Pantheon – Sorbonne) – “Safeguarding the Integrity of Sport”.
- Gaelle Le Quillec, Partner, Betto Seraglini – “International Mediation and Arbitration – The Culture Factor”.
- Philippe Tessier, Associate, SCP D’Antin Brossolet – “The Civil Code from Tronchet and Napoleon to the 21st century.”
- Tony King, Head of HR Development, Clifford Chance LLP, London – “Global Legal Talent Management – fact, fiction or fantasy”.
- Professor Terence Daintith, Professorial Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London – “The “transnational” character of oil and gas law”.
- Dr Jens M. Scherpe, Senior University Lecturer in Law, University of Cambridge, London – “Men giving birth, children with three parents, and other future family law problems”.
- Jeff Warren, Director, Brand Protection, Burberry – “Fashion and the Creative Arts: fakes, forgeries and counterfeiting – protecting the world’s most counterfeited brands.”
- Dr Habib Al Mulla, Chairman, Baker & McKenzie Habib Al Mulla, UAE – “The founding and progress of the world’s first global law firm: Baker & McKenzie”.
- Professor Cecilia Magnusson Sjöberg, Faculty of Law, Stockholm University – “E-Learning for Lawyers – Potential, Pitfalls and the Business Imperative”.